where do you get your web visitors from?
If you do rely on customers and potential customers to find you via Google search, then SEO (search engine optimization) is required to be ontop your todo list.
If people can’t see your website, there’s no way you’ll be successful with lead generation.
Are you aware that 93% of experience on the internet begins with a search engine?
As soon as someone search for something, what happens?
The chance of results at the top on Google getting clicked is 33%.
This denotes that if you aren’t the first result in the page, you’ll miss a whole ⅓ of potential visitors.
One other surprising thing is that 75% of individuals would not click on the search result’s second page.
The cause of several websites having a higher ranking compared to yours is because they’re doing several things for the improvement of their SEO.
Luckily, it isn’t too late for you to begin!
There are some things you can do to help your website rank higher on Google searches.
I have listed the top five things you should do now to improve your SEO ranking, and they are:
1. Improve the readability of your content
Even if your readers are all well educated, they likely do not want to read a PhD dissertation when they visit your site and read the content therein. You do not want your audience to stop reading your content and leave your website all because it’s challenging to read.
When you make your content easy to read and understand, it will assist in making it useful for your audience. According to some experts, one thing which Google takes into account when it comes to ranking a website is its readability.
2. Optimize your website for mobile users
As a matter of fact, a 2018 study shows that 95% of every mobile search on the internet happened on Google. That is definitely a number you can’t ignore.
Below are some essential things you need to do to optimize your website for search engines:
- Improve the load speed of your website. A 2018 study shows that the amount of time it takes the average mobile webpage to load is 22 seconds – but for a conversion to occur, the optimal load time is about 2.4 seconds!
- Perform mobile user testing and ensure your buttons and menus can be easily navigated on mobile.
- Ensure common requests and actions are seamless for mobile users. This means that you should make it easier for your visitors to subscribe to your list, view your prices, find directions to your store, follow you on social media, or make a purchase.
Side note: you can also consider doing mobile advertisements.
For instance, there’s the “phone number” button option on Google on mobile advertisements.
3. Work on Your Layout and formatting
A user-friendly layout and proper formatting can assist in improving the user experience on your website and make the content easily scannable and digestible. This will make your audience stay on your website longer and consume the information on your website.
Formatting can assist in significantly improving the usability of a website by making the content easily readable:
- Make use of colours and bold type – strategically and sparingly – to highlight important info and make the content easily scannable.
- Make use of short paragraphs and ample line spacing between each paragraph – who likes reading a wall of text? No one.
- Make use of numbered or bulleted lists for clarity.
- Make use of techniques like accordions, rollover elements, modal windows, structured grids, progressive layouts, tabs, and sliders for the organization of the content.
- Break up the content to sections which have subheads. Proper usage of header tags which also include keywords also assists in improving SEO ranking.
4. Improve the social media presence of your website
How often and how well do you promote your business via social media? Is it part of your content strategy?
Well, a business owner who wants to improve the ranking of his/her site on search engines should know that including social media in your content strategy will assist in overcoming a common SEO mistake.
That is because Yahoo, Bing, Google and every other search engines do the analysis of the interaction of people with your business on your social media channels. The higher social engagement you receive, the higher the SEO advantages your brand gets.
5. Do a regular update of the content on your website
One of the things that every content marketer agrees to is that search engines feel pretty strongly about content. Frequent update of the content on one’s website is seen as one of the greatest indicators of the relevancy of a website, so ensure your content is kept fresh. Audit the content on your website on a set schedule (for example, every six months) and always do required updates.
Then, you can feature the content on your social media or website.
There is a constant change in SEO, but these five things can significantly assist you in improving the SEO of your website.